Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: torches

California band, Foster the People, has been in the minds of many music bloggers and indie radio dj's for the very catchy dance-pop song, “pumped up kicks.” Their debut full-length album, Torches, was released on Tuesday May 24th featuring the popular tune. Upon first listen (via spinner.com) I was not the biggest fan of the album as a whole. Of course the album has its “ups” but it has its equal share of “downs”. Maybe it is because the music is very mainstream pop. In other words… nothing new. The album starts off with probably the best two songs of the entire album “helena beat” and “pumped up kicks.” It is easy to get bored after track 4. Track 7, “houdini,” is comparable to Gavin DeGraw’s “I don’t want to be,” otherwise known as the One Tree Hill theme song. The last track “warrant” features a cool ascending melody. Overall, the album is not bad. I wouldn’t mind listening to Torches a couple of more times, but eventually I know I would get bored with it because the sound can be repetitive. From a scale of 1-10 I give it a 5.95.

favorite tracks: helena beat, pumped up kicks, call it what you want, warrant