Monday, March 21, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: actor-caster


     I don't know if its my natural intuitive love for the Generationals but Actor-Caster--the Generationals sophmore album-- is top notch. From a 1-10 scale I give it a 9.2. Am I being biased? Maybe. Generationals have not lost their talent or style. "The Gens" are on a roller-coaster but they aren't going downhill. Actor-Caster is so good that "the gens" can keep climbing up the x&y graph. Exponential growth here! Not an ounce of dissapointment came over me as I listened to Generationals' follow-up album. If anything I sometimes thought "what!?... wow did they just go there?" but then after those thoughts I would think "they sure nailed it!" Take track 3, "yours forever," it features electronic synth sounds: as you listen to it you might wonder if the internet messed things up and changed up the artists on the playlist for Yeasayer , Ruby Suns or Million Young but then you know you're wrong when you hear Ted Joyner's voice. Generationals maintain their quirky style in tracks like "you say it too" which features some ooh-wee-ooh-wee-ooh's mimicking the sounds of the theme song of The Good the Bad and the Ugly. All I know is that I can't wait to acquire a hard-copy so that I can stream it all day long and everywhere I go. The former comment probably convinced you that I am totally biased but seriously Actor-Caster features ten good uplifting songs.


Favorite Tracks: ten-twenty ten, you say it too, dirty mister dirty, greenleaf, please be it


The album is officially out March 29 (Park the Van Records) but you can stream the entire album here (KCRW's website) or here (AOL listening party) for a limited time.