Friday, February 4, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: the people's keys


I don't know much about Bright Eyes other than that one song "bowl of oranges." So I thought I'd check out their tenth studio album release since it was available on NPR. From a scale of 1-10 I give it a... 6.1634. The coolest thing about The People's Keys is the discourse at the beginning, middle, and end. The male speaker says things about sumerian aliens, the cosmos, and knowledge. The songs aren't dissapointing either, some of the better songs on this album feature catchy percussion beats (one for you one for me), and classic/gothic piano (ladder song). Conor Oberst's voice isn't the most beautiful out there but he can definitely carry a song, like in "haile selassie." I reccomend this album to anybody, but especially to those of you in an inbetween state of mind. If you're neither zealous nor lethargic then this album will fit your needs.

Favorite tracks: shell games, haile selassie, ladder song, one for you one for me

The People's Keys can be heard in its entirety for a limited time at npr.org.