Friday, January 14, 2011

ON REPEAT: all die young

And so the Smith Westerns' hype begins...

It is Monday January 10, 2011. It is cold and wet outside. At least, cold for Laredo. The average temperature is 40°F. It is the evening, right around 7:30 p.m. The stars have a chance to shine since the mighty sun-- their competition--has set. It is 7:30 pm and I am walking alone through North Central Park among the "dead leaves on the dirty ground." There is no one in sight, except for the occasional jogger that quickly passes by. Darkness engulfs the area but not completely. The yellow tinted lights overhead hit the floor and reveal a wet yellow/orange image. Away from the yellow light the floor shimmers like a drop of black glitter nail polish under a magnifying glass. I walk along to the sound of Smith Western's "all die young." The song suits the environment around me. "All die young" is the soundtrack to that walk in the park on January 10, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. I did not know this then but I know it now. I did not know that this song existed as I walked through the park but as I listen to it in the future I know that it belongs to that wet, dark, autumn-like day. In truth, the coldest winter days in Laredo are like autumn days in a northern state. I walk along to the pace of the song. I am dressed casually with a thick black jacket and hoodie. I can finally use the jacket at its full potential. I zip the jacket all the way up. I button the buttons. I place the hoodie over my head and draw the strings in to keep cold air from entering. Here I am. Here is this song. This is why I love music. Although, this never happened exactly as I describe it, I have walked on days like Monday January 10 when it is dark, wet, and cold. This is the setting I picture when I listen to Smith Westerns' "all die young." Listen below...


"I want to grow old before I grow up. I want to die with my shirt off."