Thursday, August 4, 2011

Milk

6:34 AM.

"Salty leave...stay for me."

It's my sister's alarm.

It's been going off for the last 5 minutes.

The alarm clock is an obvious failure given the fact that she is still asleep and oblivious to Caleb Followill's mournful croon. I must have heard "Milk" about 8 times by the time her phone resigns from waking up its master.

So as I listened to the song over and over again I couldn't help but think of the honesty of Caleb's voice. He sings with such sadness and despair. It wasn't hard for me to sink to the bottom. It wasn't hard for me to start feeling blue. Something about Caleb's voice along with the melancholy yet gentle guitar sounds puts you in a state of pity. It's a song you can listen to when you want to match your sadness with sadness. "Milk" will hardly console you or encourage you to rise to a state of euphoria. And when the "milk" tirade finished, I was out of the depression. It's quite amazing what music can do to you.