Thursday, July 21, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: unknown mortal orchestra


Unknown Mortal Orchestra is a Portland, Oregon band consisting of Ruban Neilson, Jake Portrait (bass), and Julien Ehrlich (drums). Listening to Unknown Mortal Orchestra's self-titled debut album, has been quite an experience. All I can say is that this album is too cool. I fell in love with 8/10 songs. I could probably listen to "Ffunny Friends" and "Little Blue House" non-stop for the next few weeks. Does this album stray far from anything you've ever listened to? Probably not, but it is definitely out there. And it is definitely on my top albums of 2011 list. Lately I've been too lazy to stream full-length albums, but something about Unknown Mortal Orchestra's sound made it difficult for me to put it aside. In the words of Unknown Mortal Orchestra, "I'm a smiling alligator" (track 3). I give it an 8/10. Stream it over at spin!


favorite tracks: Ffunny friends, Jello Juggemauts, Little Blu House