Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Check out CHIEF

CHIEF (http://www.myspace.com/chieftheband) is one of the bands I am most excited about checking out Friday at ACL. Their afternoon performance is the reason why I want to get to ACL early (them and New Orleans band GIVERS).

CHIEF has a rugged yet crisp sound. I picture them playing at a lonely bar in the middle of the desert where they console the forlorn and tired. I can just picture myself sitting at a corner table in a dimly lit room as the frontman sings the lyric "I look up into the big dark sky the clouds are heavy but passing me by." Many of their songs feature multiple vocals that sound rough and efforltlessly cool, such as their song"Your Direction."

They have two versions of one of their song "Stealing" and I purchased the original EP version a few weeks ago thinking it was the better version of the two. But it wasn't a very fair decision since I had to decide based on 30 second clips. However, today I listened to the album version (http://www.myspace.com/47188784/music/albums/16388976) on their myspace page and I'm not sure which version I like better. I guess I'll decide later.


SONGS YOU MUST HERE BY CHIEF: Your Direction, Stealing, In the Valley, Mighty Proud

-Monica